Tuesday, January 6, 2015

El Chupacabra

This past Friday night I went on a date with my coworker, Jon. It's funny that I am currently somewhat involved with two men with the same name. And by funny, I mean weird.

My coworker Jon is someone I would not normally be into. He talks loudly, has bad posture, and is a skinny white boy with curly blonde hair. He looks a little rough around the edges. And he is 44 years old. I thought he was at most 35! That means he was 20 when I was born. It all seems very surreal to me.

But what appeals to me is how kind he is. I never thought kindness would be a turn on, but it really is. I had been so used to being dismissed by the other John, that I had forgotten what a real gentleman is. Jon never stops smiling, and is adored by everyone who works with him, and is relentlessly helpful.

A couple of weeks ago, I told him I would take him out for margaritas for a belated birthday celebration. I thought that he wouldn't really take me up on my offer. When I came back from Florida for christmas, he pulled me aside and asked when we could go out. I was surprised that he had brought it up, I thought he would have forgotten. I said "how about tonight? after work?" He looked excited.

He came and got me from my office. He looked a little nervous, but was still smiling. I was listening to "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" and doing paperwork. I tried to keep my cool. We walked outside and got in his truck. He took me for a drive around the neighborhood, pointing out various landmarks and lights hung on the trees. He grew up in Phinney Ridge, a neighborhood about 2 miles from where we work, where he also currently lives. We stopped and got margaritas at El Chupacabra. We talked for about 5 hours and had such a blast.

The thing I can't really get over is over much older he is than me. He has already had so many experiences in his life before my birth. He does things differently than guys my age. He is more forward, and more respectful. I'm not sure what to do. But it feels alright in the meantime.




No comments:

Post a Comment